Untangle Alternatives: Similar Firewalls
Untangle is a well-known brand for solutions that enable small-to-medium-sized organizations and scattered corporations to improve their networks while protecting their data and devices. Untangle's Network Security Framework offers cloud-managed security and connectivity choices that operate in tandem to give protection, monitoring, and management across the whole digital attack surface, from headquarters to the network edge. Untangle is dedicated to providing open, creative, and interoperable solutions to its clients throughout the world through its fast-expanding network of technology, managed services, and distribution partners. Untangle's headquarters are located in San Jose, California.
Untangle is NGFW/UTM software that includes features such as web content and spam filtering, malware scanning, VPN connectivity, multi-WAN failover, and more.
The Untangle NG Firewall platform is intended to function similarly to an app store. Applications, like apps on a smartphone, are modules that add functionality to the NG Firewall platform. NG Firewall's robust, versatile Integrated Rules EngineTM allows all of the programs to function together, even when each app has a distinct role, such as filtering spam or preventing virus infections.
Untangle offers the following Free Features:
- Ad Blocker
- Captive Portal
- Intrusion Prevention
- Phish Blocker
- Web Monitor
Untangle Paid Features are listed below:
- Application Control
- Bandwidth Control
- Directory Connector
- IPsec VPN
- Policy Manager
- Spam Blocker
- SSL Inspector
- Virus Blocker
- WAN Balancer
- WAN Failover
- Web Cache
- Web Filter
Figure 1. Untangle Appliances
Untangle appliances are plug-and-play, with options ranging from silent, small-footprint desktop devices to 2U rackmount servers appropriate for the data center.
Untangle Command Center is a cloud-based centralized management system that lets you manage your Next-Generation Firewall deployments from any web browser.
While the benefits of Untangle's next-generation firewalls are numerous, many people may be seeking alternatives to the program in the hopes of finding a better price or a more cost-effective choice. Fortunately, there are a lot of excellent alternatives to Untangle that you may utilize. Zenarmor and Sophos are two famous examples.
1. Zenarmor (Sensei)
Zenarmor (Sensei) is a lightweight software-only firewall that may be deployed practically anywhere.
It can be easily implemented on any platform with network connectivity because of its appliance-free, all-in-one, all-software, lightweight, and simple design. It makes no difference if it's simulated or raw metal. It is preferable to keep it on-premises or in the cloud.
The product's main technology is a lightweight but strong packet inspection core capable of executing a wide range of enterprise-grade network security tasks.
Implement zero-latency security without data packet backhauling between POPs and data centers.
Zenarmor's single-pass design processes packet only once for all security mechanisms.
The same security stack is used everywhere it is installed for unsurpassed consistency in implementing security regulations.
You have total control over all policies and network deployments with cloud-based management.
Create policies that are not location or device-dependent, and then enforce them across all IT environments.
All security telemetry may be aggregated and shown in a single pane. Begin with a broad view and work your way down to precise connecting details.
Zenarmor provides the following Next-generation Firewall Features:?
- Application Control
- Cloud Application Control (Web 2.0 Controls)
- Advanced Network Analytics
- All-ports full TLS Inspection (for every TCP port, not just HTTPS) *Coming soon
- Cloud Threat Intelligence
- Web Filtering and Security
- Encrypted Threats Prevention
- User-based Filtering and Reporting
- Active Directory Integration
- Application / Web category based Traffic Shaping and Prioritization
- Policy based filtering and QoS
- Cloud based centralized management & Reporting
Zenarmor deployments on all Linux platforms, as well as FreeBSD-based firewalls, may be managed cooperatively and seamlessly through the use of the same interface: Cloud Management Portal for Centralized Administration
Zenarmor is currently available for:
- OPNsense ® (OPNsense 19.x - 21.x, fully integrated into the OPNsense WebUI)
- FreeBSD ® (FreeBSD 11,12,13)
- pfSense ® software (pfSense 2.5.x)
- Ubuntu Linux (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, 20.04 LTS)
- Debian Linux (Debian 10)
- Alma Linux (AlmaLinux 1)
- Centos Linux (Centos 7, 8)
The paid subscriptions listed below give a full set of next-generation firewall features:
- Home Edition
- SOHO Edition
- Business Edition
2. Cisco Secure Firewall
The Cisco® Secure Firewall ISA3000 is an industrial firewall that offers OT-targeted security based on enterprise-class security.
The ISA3000 is a DIN rail mount, ruggedized appliance with four data lines that deliver the broadest range of access, threat, and application controls for industrial environments.
The ISA3000 safeguards industrial processes as well as vulnerable control equipment. It takes advantage of Cisco Talos industry-leading threat detection and vulnerability exploit prevention rules, which include thousands of industrial-focused rules. It even allows you to design your own custom detectors to produce alarms and restrict or allow traffic depending on the industrial application flows you care about using OpenAppID and Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) of industrial protocols. Cisco Advanced Malware Protection (AMP) is also included to track questionable file.
The ISA3000 delivers industrial-focused, out-of-the-box configuration and simplified operational administration via a user-friendly on-box device manager, on-premises centralized management, or a cloud-based management solution. Because these management tools are similar to those used with Cisco firewalls in your IT domain, it is simple to extend IT security to OT and enforce identical security policies across domains.
The Cisco Secure Firewall ISA3000 has the following features:
- Traffic control to, from, and between production cells or industrial zones
- WAN communication that is secure for power substations and isolated industrial assets
- Enterprise-class remote access that is both flexible and secure
- IP routing, NAT, DNS, DHCP, and other critical network infrastructure services
- Unrivaled threat prevention at every level of networking and computing, from switches, routers, operating systems, and compute infrastructure to industrial control systems.
- Widespread support for industrial protocols providing visibility and control across all levels of your applications in both the industrial and corporate spaces
- More degrees of traffic continuity safety than competing industrial offers
- Criteria for IT security certification that are universally accepted.
3. Sophos Firewall
Sophos Firewall was created from the ground up to address today's top concerns with existing firewalls while also delivering a real next-generation platform to handle the modern encrypted internet and expanding threat landscape.
Sophos Firewall has a new method for identifying hidden dangers, protecting against attacks, and responding to incidents without sacrificing speed.
Sophos Firewall gives you unparalleled visibility into dangerous users, unwanted programs, suspicious payloads, and persistent attacks. It securely incorporates a comprehensive collection of contemporary threat security technologies that are simple to install and maintain. Moreover, unlike conventional firewalls, Sophos Firewall interfaces with other security systems on the network, allowing it to become your trusted enforcement point for containing threats and blocking malware from propagating or exfiltrating data out of the network - automatically and in real-time.
Sophos Firewall outperforms competing network firewalls in three major ways:
- Reveals hidden dangers Sophos Firewall outperforms other systems in terms of uncovering hidden threats, thanks to a visible dashboard, extensive on-premises, and cloud data, and unique risk insights.
- Prevents unknown dangers with a comprehensive array of sophisticated security features that are very easy to set up and operate, Sophos Firewall makes blocking unknown threats faster, easier, and more effective than competing firewalls.
- Responds to situations automatically because of Sophos Security Heartbeat which transmits real-time intelligence between your endpoints and your firewall, the Sophos Firewall with Synchronized Security instantly responds to network issues.
Sophos XG Firewall takes a fresh look at how you operate your firewall and how you identify and respond to attacks on your network. Next-generation firewall security has been designed to identify hidden hazards, prevent both known and undiscovered attacks, and respond to incidents automatically.
The Sophos XG Firewall offers unparalleled insight into problematic users, unknown and undesired programs, sophisticated attacks, suspicious payloads, encrypted communications, and much more. Rich on-box reporting is included, as centralized reporting for several firewalls in the cloud.
Sophos XG Firewall includes top-rated IPS, Sophisticated Threat Protection, Cloud Sandboxing, and comprehensive AI-powered threat analysis, Dual AV, Web and App Control, Email Protection, and a full-featured Web Application Firewall(WAF) to defend your network against ransomware and advanced attacks.
It is a network security solution that can properly identify the source of an infection on your network and immediately block access to other network resources in response to is XG Firewall.
This is made possible by Sophos Security Heartbeat, which communicates telemetry and health status between Sophos endpoints and your firewall.
4. Check Point Quantum
Cyber attacks are growing increasingly complex and difficult to detect. Check Point Quantum Network Security protects your network, cloud, data center, IoT, and remote users from Gen V cyber threats.
Check Point Quantum Next Generation Firewall Security GatewaysTM safeguards you against the most sophisticated cyber attacks by combining SandBlast threat prevention, hyper-scale networking, a unified administration platform, remote access VPN, and IoT security.
- Protection against Gen V cyber attacks that is extremely scalable
- Protects your network, data center, endpoints, and IoT devices.
- SandBlast Threat Prevention Maestro provides the best protection. Hyper-scale Networking can grow up to 1.5 Tbps.
- A platform for unified management
- Remote Access VPN safeguards your remote users.
The Quantum series of gateways includes 18 types with Threat Prevention performance speeds of up to 30 gigabits.
Figure 2. Checkpoint Appliances
WatchGuard offers the industry's most comprehensive portfolio of network security services, ranging from basic IPS, GAV, application control, spam blocking, and web filtering to more sophisticated services that protect against advanced malware, ransomware, and data loss. WatchGuard also offers a full suite of network visibility and management services.
- Intrusion Prevention Service (IPS): To offer real-time protection against network threats, Intrusion Prevention Service (IPS) monitors traffic on all major protocols using continually updated signatures.
- Reputation Enabled Defense Service (RED): Reputation Enabled Defense Service (RED) is a cloud-based reputation search service that protects users against malicious websites and botnets while greatly speeding up web processing.
- Real-time spam detection: SpamBlocker detects spam in real time. Firebox spamBlocker is so fast and efficient that it can handle up to 4 billion messages each day.
- URL Filtering in WebBlockers: Blocks are known dangerous sites that are automatically blocked, with extensive content filtering options to limit unpleasant information and increase productivity.
- Application Management: Allow, prohibit, or restrict app access based on department, job function, or time of day - then monitor what's being accessed and by whom in real-time.
- Network Exploration: A subscription-based service that creates a visual map of all nodes on your network so you can readily understand where you could be vulnerable. Continuously updated signatures in Gateway AntiVirus (GAV) identify and stop known spyware, viruses, trojans, and other threats - including new variations of recognized infections.
- APT Blocker - Advanced Malware Defense: Counts on an award-winning next-generation sandbox to identify and fight the most complex attacks, such as ransomware and zero-day threats.
- Detection and Response to Threats: Correlate network and endpoint security events using threat intelligence to detect, prioritize, and prevent threats.
- IntelligentAV: IntelligentAV is a signature-free anti-virus solution that uses artificial intelligence to detect malware. It can categorize existing and future malware in seconds using extensive statistical analysis.
- DNSWatch: DNSWatch helps to prevent malware infections by preventing harmful DNS requests and diverting users to information that reinforces security recommended practices.
All of WatchGuard's security services are offered as a unified solution within an easy-to-manage and cost-effective Firebox® appliance, which is available in both physical and virtual configurations. You never have to compromise between security and performance with WatchGuard. Each Firebox appliance is ready to provide the entire array of security services, as well as a suite of management and visibility capabilities to keep you ahead of the quickly expanding threat landscape. As new technologies become available, we make it simple to upgrade the software to include the most recent solutions.
6. Barracuda CloudGen Firewall
Modern cyber threats, such as ransomware and advanced persistent threats, targeted attacks, and zero-day threats, necessitate ever-more sophisticated defense strategies that balance precise threat detection with rapid response times. Barracuda CloudGen Firewall provides a set of next-generation firewall technologies to ensure real-time network protection against a wide range of network threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits, such as SQL injections, cross-site scripting, denial of service attacks, trojans, viruses, worms, spyware, and others.
Barracuda firewalls can be deployed in many physical locations as well as in Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud Platform.
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall employs multiple detection layers, including advanced threat signatures, behavioral and heuristic analysis, static code analysis, and, finally, comprehensive sandboxing, to provide accurate detection and comprehensive protection against ransomware, malware, and other advanced cyber-attacks.
Barracuda Advanced Threat Protection is built upon a full-emulation sandbox that will 'detonate' any attachment that has not been thoroughly evaluated by the prior layers. When a new threat is recognized and a signature is formed, the data is sent to the pre-filtering layers. The next time the same threat tries to access your network, it will be prevented without the need for the resource-intensive sandbox study to be repeated. This guarantees that sandboxing is employed as efficiently as possible while having little impact on operations.
The Advanced Threat Protection service is connected to Barracuda's global threat intelligence network, providing real-time protection against the most recent attacks. Barracuda collects threat data from millions of sources worldwide, including network, email, website attacks, and web browser threats. When danger is recognized, the information is made available to all security solutions linked to the service, allowing your threat defense to improve and become more effective over time.
With simple, automated deployment, setup, and maintenance, you can leverage the benefits of SaaS and public-cloud services and infrastructures. Barracuda CloudGen Firewall is designed for distributed networks and cloud settings, and it makes cloud deployment simple with templates, APIs, and deep interaction with cloud-native capabilities. With Zero-Touch Deployment, you can deploy gear to remote sites that lack qualified IT professionals.
The Barracuda CloudGen Firewall, which can be implemented on-premises or in the cloud, has SD-WAN features and can connect to distributed sites, various clouds, and remote users. There is no need to buy a separate SD-WAN to handle connections across several distributed sites.
7. SonicWall NSA Series
The SonicWall Network Security appliance (NSa) series delivers sophisticated threat prevention in a security platform to companies ranging in size from mid-sized networks to dispersed corporations and data centers. The NSa series provides enterprises with automatic real-time breach detection and prevention by leveraging breakthrough deep learning algorithms in the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform.
We can summarize its main features as follows.
- Network control and flexibility: SonicOS, SonicWall's feature-rich operating system, lies at the heart of the NSa series. Through application intelligence and control, real-time visualization, an intrusion prevention system (IPS) with sophisticated anti-evasion technology, high-speed virtual private networking (VPN), and other security features, SonicOS provides organizations with network control and flexibility they require.
- Threat prevention: The NSa series next-generation firewalls (NGFWs) combine two sophisticated security technologies to provide attack prevention that keeps your network one step ahead of the competition. Patent-pending Real-Time Deep Memory Inspection (RTDMITM) technology enhances SonicWall's multi-engine Capture Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) service.
- SonicWall's Capture Cloud Platform: SonicWall's Capture Cloud Platform provides cloud-based threat prevention and network administration, as well as reporting and analytics, to businesses of all sizes. The platform collects threat intelligence from a variety of sources, including multi-engine network sandboxing service, Capture Advanced Threat Protection,
- Deep Packet Inspection Engine That Doesn't Need To Be Assembled: The SonicWall Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection (RFDPI) system performs stream-based, bi-directional traffic analysis at high speed without proxying or buffering to effectively uncover intrusion attempts and malware downloads while identifying application traffic regardless of port and protocol.
Smoothwall Firewall is a powerful, all-in-one solution that protects your network and users against web and non-web-borne threats. Smoothwall Firewall delivers next-generation firewall capability by combining Layer 7 application control, perimeter firewall, and stateful packet inspection.
Problematic apps like BitTorrent, Skype, and TOR can use up available bandwidth and expose you to unsuitable and illegal activity. These sorts of applications are tough to stop since they use protocols that aren't recognized by standard web filters. This traffic is blocked by the Smoothwall Firewall at the gateway.
Smoothwall Firewall can identify over 100 distinct types of traffic using deep packet inspection, even when the traffic does not want to be recognized.
Some of the key features of Smoothwall Firewalls are as follows:
- Next-generation firewall: Your network is protected against all web and non-web threats by a perimeter firewall and an internal segmentation firewall.
- Layer 7 application control: Deep Packet Inspection is another name for it (DPI). Non-web traffic, such as Skype and BitTorrent, can be controlled.
- Intrusion detection and prevention: Any malicious attacks on your system should be monitored, reported on, and responded to.
- Bandwidth management: Limit bandwidth use based on the kind of material, the user, the time and place, and the web proxy cache.
- VPN: Site-to-Site (IPSec) VPNs and Remote Users are both supported (SSL and L2TP).
- Link and load balancing: Support for multiple WAN connections.
- Directory server integration: Microsoft Active Directory, Open Directory, eDirectory
- Gateway anti-malware: Checks harmful content signatures at the gateway to guard against known and zero-day threats.
9. pfSense Software
The pfSense® software is a FreeBSD-based operating system that allows you to easily install and configure a firewall on any PC using a web interface. It's hard to believe that pfSense® software, with all of its enterprise-grade features and security, is a free and open-source firewall product.
The pfSense® software project is a free network firewall installation based on the FreeBSD operating system and supported with free software packages from third parties. pfSense® software may provide the same or more capacity than standard commercial firewalls using the package method, with no artificial constraints. It has effectively replaced every major commercial firewall on the market, including Check Point, Cisco PIX, Cisco ASA, Juniper, Sonicwall, Netgear, Watchguard, Astaro, and others, in countless installations throughout the world.
Apart from the fact that the pfSense® software firewall is absolutely free to use and configure, there are several more reasons to use it, whether you wish to customize it or just have a functional firewall. The following are some of the most compelling reasons to utilize pfSense® software:
Apart from the fact that the pfSense® software firewall is completely free to use and configure, there are a number of other reasons why you should use it, whether you want to tailor it or just have a reliable firewall. Some of the biggest attractive reasons to use pfSense® software can be listed below as;
The pfSense® software is versatile.
The pfSense® software is free and open-source.
The pfSense® software is simple to use.
The pfSense® software is quite powerful.
The pfSense® software has a lot of support.
What Should Be Considered While Choosing Untangle Alternatives?
With so many alternatives to consider, selecting a new next-generation firewall might be difficult. There are a few things to consider while selecting an alternative to Untangle Firewall.
Pricing/Cost of Ownership: First and foremost, you should consider pricing points. Untangle might be an expensive solution for many, so if you prefer an alternative, try to look for a budget-friendly choice.
Interoperability: How well does your NGFW communicate with other network and security tools?
Visibility: Most next-generation firewalls differ in terms of the extent of visibility and control they provide. This visibility should extend all the way down to the user level, not just to your programs.
Security features: If you're buying a firewall, you should anticipate certain next-generation features. This includes looking for must-have features of a next-generation firewall, such as VPN, secure remote access, and intrusion prevention systems (IPS).
Scalability: Modern networks are designed to grow and satisfy your long-term goals. This entails selecting a firewall that can scale to match your company's needs.
Centralized administration and reporting: If you own a larger company, you may have many firewalls installed. In this case, you'll see that central management needs to optimize management skills.
Platform type: This may go unnoticed, but you should consider where your firewall may be installed. Large firms with the resources to invest in larger specialized hardware choose hardware-based firewalls, whilst small businesses may prefer software-based firewalls. Companies with a large number of remote employees scattered over many locations, on the other hand, may profit from a cloud-based firewall or FWaaS.
What are the Best Untangle Firewall Alternatives for Enterprises?
Moving on to the best firewall choices, we've chosen nine high-quality next-generation firewalls for implementation. Untangle, on the other hand, has been widely utilized in organizations for cybersecurity management and network security. As an alternative, you may try to obtain a firewall that is equally ideal for usage in small and large firms. For bigger companies, these are some of the finest Untangle firewall alternatives:
- Check Point Next-Generation Firewalls
- FortiGate NGFW
- Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewall
- Cisco Next-Generation Firewall Virtual (NGFWv)
What are the Best Untangle Firewall Alternatives for Small Business?
We've talked about large corporations, but what about small and medium-sized company owners? There are Untangle NGFW alternatives that are more suited to small business use. In this section, we'll go over several excellent options that you should definitely consider:
- Sophos Firewall
- pfSense software
- Zscaler Internet Access